Week 9 - Bombing Youth Info Centre


While we were away I crocheted some hours away, making colourful striped pieces out of my scrap yarn. I had something in particular in mind for them so I made them a certain width...

When I yarn bombed the Library last month, I noticed a spring-looking bike rack out the front and at the time thought, 'oooh, that would be a good one to yarn bomb!' but I had already created my piece for the tree so I didn't think anything more of it. Another time when running errands in my home town, I walked past a Youth Info Centre and it had the very same style of bike rack out the front! And what a great place to yarn bomb - a Youth Centre, a yarn bomb would surely make someone smile here!
I added this to the 'To Bomb' List in my mind but didn't really plan anything in particular 'til now.

I've been feeling I should do a slightly bigger project than I have been doing....It was time....and besides that, I've been inspired by some amazingly talented ladies of Yarn Corner.

I made 4 different panels for this piece, finishing them today and stitching them together.


I like the randomness of one colour ending and another one starting. This is intentional and is the result of me using up scrap yarn as mentioned earlier. I also experimented with pattern, making some rows of shells to funk it up! :P
.....
After sewing my pieces together, I wondered how I could make it a bit more 3D and tactile. I had some bright coloured stars that I had crocheted a few weeks back, 6 of them, and had no particular use for them. They would look great hanging from this piece! :D

It was getting dark and I wanted this installed today because I've been lagging a bit behind with my yarn bombing challenge lately and I wanted to get ahead again. I jumped in the car and headed out, under the cover of twilight ;)
There were more people out than I thought there would be and I think I turned up right when the library was closing for the night. (The youth centre is a few doors down from the library) So plenty of people were about. But not too close to me so I just put myself in my own little world and began sewing my piece to the bike rack.
It occurred to me after I'd already left the house that I'd need something to pin it up with but I'd forgotten to bring anything. 'Ah well, I'll just wing it,' I thought, and I did. I found some twigs on the ground and used them to hold the edges together. It felt great using nature to help me! :D
I think it took me about 20 minutes to sew the whole thing up. I was kneeling on concrete and my knees were hurting. I was pretty impressed with how it was turning out (except it was a bit looser than I would have liked)
It was almost fully dark by the time I finished and I couldn't even see anything in the viewfinder of my camera. I had to just snap with the flash on and hope for the best.
almost done...




The photos are a bit blurry so I will go back tomorrow and get some better shots in the daylight......
And here they are (1/3/12)





I also added my little trademark leftover yarn bow....on the entrance door handle! :P cheeky!

For Michelle T and anyone else interested, here is a pattern for these stars! Enjoy! x x


2 comments:

Post a Comment